Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP)
The Census (2011) data showed a significant declining trend in the Child Sex Ratio1 (CSR) between 0-6 years with an all time low of 918. The issue of decline in the CSR is a major indicator of women disempowerment as it reflects both, pre-birth discrimination manifested through gender biased sex selection, and post birth discrimination against girls (in form of their health, nutrition, educational needs). The principal factor behind the Child Sex Ratio being so adverse is the low Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB)2. Social construct discriminating girls on the one hand, easy availability, affordability and subsequent misuse of diagnostic tools on the other hand, have been critical in declining CSR. The strong socio-cultural and religious biases, preference for sons and discrimination towards daughters has accentuated the problem.
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme
Objective : The Overall Goal of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme is to celebrate the girl child and enable her education.
The objectives of the Scheme are as under:
- To prevent gender biased sex selective elimination.
- To ensure survival and protection of the girl child.
- To ensure education and participation of the girl child.
- Improve the Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) in selected gender critical districts by 2 points in a year.
- Reduce Gender differentials in Under Five Child Mortality Rate from 7 points in 2014(latest available SRS report) to 1.5 points per year
- At least 1.5 % increase per year of Institutional Deliveries.
- At least 1% increase per year of 1st Trimester ANC Registration.
- Increase enrolment of girls in secondary education to 82% by 2018-19.
- Provide functional toilet for girls in every school in selected districts.
- Improve the Nutrition status of girls – by reducing number of underweight and anemic girls under 5 years of age.
- Ensure universalization of ICDS, girls’ attendance and equal care monitored, using joint ICDS NHM Mother Child Protection Cards.
- Promote a protective environment for Girl Children through implementation of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act 2012.
- Train Elected Representatives/ Grassroot functionaries as Community Champions to mobilize communities to improve CSR and promote Girl’s education
As the issue of decline in Child Sex Ratio is complex and multi-dimensional, a multi- sectoral strategy which is governed by the core principles of respecting, protecting and fulfilling the rights of girls and women, including the ending of gender discrimination and violence will be adopted. The core strategies will be as follows:
- Implementing a sustained Mass Media Advocacy Outreach Campaign with a 360° media approach to create equal value for the girl child and promote her education.
- Placing the issue of decline in CSR/SRB in public discourse, improvement of which would be an indicator of gender balance.
- Focusing on Districts and Cities low on CSR for intensive and integrated action.
- Adopting Innovative Interventions/Actions by the districts as per their local needs, context and sensibilities.
- Strengthening capacities of Panchayati Raj Institutions/Urban Local Bodies/ Elected Representatives/Grassroot workers as catalysts for social change, in partnership with local community/women’s/youth groups.
- Engaging with Communities to challenge gender stereotypes and social norms.
- Facilitating service delivery structures/schemes and programmes are sufficiently responsive to issues of gender and children’s rights.
- Enabling Inter-sectoral and inter-institutional convergence at District/Block/grassroot levels.
Children Girl, Sector - Education
Scholarships, Subsidy, etc.
How To Apply
Fill the Form (downloadable form or link of online form)View (1 MB)